Are you asking yourself whether you need a new roof? While your home can be improved in many ways, this potential upgrade is one of the most important choices you will consider as you maintain your house over the years.
It’s crucial to consider several factors when considering paying for this unique upgrade, as well as what type of roof installation company you’ll choose. It doesn’t matter whether you’re selling your property or upgradingyour existing home that you’ll continue living in for the foreseeable future.
“When it comes time to select a specific roofing brand, homeowners are primarily looking for a quality product (61% of respondents),” states a July 2021 article in Roofing Contractor magazine. “To find that roofing brand, they are relying on their contractor (57% of respondents) for recommendations more than they do on family and friends (35% of respondents), or even their own personal experiences with a brand (37% of respondents).The research indicates homeowners respect and value the recommendation of contractors who work regularly with different building products.”
If you’re wondering which factors deserve the most attention in your decision-making — no matter whether it’s winter, spring, summer or fall — keep these fiveideas in mind when making your selection for this unique investment. After all, the end result should be worth your prudent investment to shelter your property, belongings, and especially those living inside:
- Your Shingles are Deteriorated or Depreciated — If you spot any signs of damage to your shingles, it’s an indication something is seriously wrong with your roof and you need shinglereplacement. There might be a good reason to invest in a roof sooner rather than later if younotice granules wearing off, or especially if they’re completely gone.
Granules on your shingles repel and reflect heat away so your house stays cooler and more comfortable. The shingles themselves make sure moisture stays out of your home. Your energy savings can be reduced (and you may experience leaks) when they start to wear down.The asphalt will crack and dry out as soon as the shingles are fully damaged. Since it increases your home’s vulnerability, this can be a serious threat.
Be aware if your shingles are curling or cracking. It’s important to act before damage becomes severe enough to cause leaks or other major issues in your house.
- Deciding on the Right Substance — There’s a variety of innovative material to choose from when it comes to replacing your roof.It should fit with the style of your home, as well as the overall cost of a new roof installation. The installation, by the way, is always more expensive the bigger the house is, no matter what material you choose.
Despite their low cost, asphalt shingles also have a shorter lifespan.The lifespan of a roof shouldaverage around 20 to 25 years, but metal and slate roofs can last up to 50 years.
It’s wise to choose a metal roof if your area endures a lot of snow, since it can withstand the heavy load better than standard shingles. However, clay tiles do well in warmer climates, whichalso add an attractive aesthetic touch to a home.
Choose the material best suiting your needs by weighing the pros and cons of each. For practicality, asphalt shingles might be best, while a designer roof might be better for aesthetics.
- Will You Put Your Home on the Market?Replacing your roof might be the most economical option if you’re planning to put your home on the market. The last thing you want is to spend thousands of extra dollars on a designer roof just to sell the property to someone else.
Even if it has asphalt shingles and you’re questioning how much new shingles cost, a new roof can improve your home’s “saleability.” When your current roof shows signs of damage or is old, consider getting a new one installed by calling professional roof installers.You’ll bring a lot more potential buyers to your home with this simple update. It also ensures peace of mind for potential homebuyers. Overall, yourspend and investment will make the home inspection experience easier for everyone involved.
To make sure the new owners are covered in case something goes wrong, ensure you obtain a warranty by the installation company that can be transferred to them.
- Just Add Some New Shingles, orPull Them Out and Replace All?A new layer of shingles (called “layering”) can be added if the underlayment looks good but the shingles are in poor condition. However, you may not be able to comply with current building codes if you add a second layer of shingles to your roof, depending on your geography and local circumstance.
It’s possible to add up to two layers of shingles to a roof without any issues in some areas. Takingoff the old shingles first is much more expensive than doing this.
The best thing you can do is remove your current shingles and start over when they are curling or uneven. But depending on how much wear and tear you see, you might be able to get away with just adding one new layer.
Decide if layering shingles makes sense for your climate when making this decision. When you live in a high wind or cold location, you should peel off the old layer and start over.You can further enhance the protection of your new roof and home with an ice and water shield if absolutely needed.
- Make Sure You Choose a Trustworthy Roof Installer — Choosing the right service provider is the most important factor when buying a roof and paying for the labor.Before committing, thoroughly check reviews and do your homework. Don’t skimp on the time it takes to research all available sources and avenues that are appropriate for your situation.
Additionally, before you sign on the dotted line, don’t be afraid to ask questions and get a free estimate. A roofing company having a noteworthy trusted history and experience will be able to provide you with an accurate estimate, as well as answer any concerns you may have.
Paying for a residential roof installation with a reputable company ensures your roof will last a long time. Do your homework to find a reliable, trustworthy roofer that you can trust to do the installation accurately and with integrity.
The roof on any house makes the home. Think about these factors when you’re considering taking the financial plunge to repair or completely replace. Roofs affect your quality of life and resale value, regardless of whether they are damaged or if you are selling your house.
Consider Keystone Roofing and Siding! Visit our website for more answers.